This is a list of places where I like to buy (or would like to buy) my stuff, now that I try never to rely on Amazon and that I also avoid large corporate conglomerates.
The 👑 emoji means that there is a lifetime or similar long-term warranty on the products.
- Audiobooks: Libro.fm (English), Audiolib (French)
- Ebooks: if you can, go directly on the publisher’s website. Options that often (but not always, check before buying!) are DRM-free:
- Physical :
- Public libraries:
Beauty & hygiene
Clothes & accessories
- Camelback 👑 water bottles & backpacks
- Columbia 👑 sportswear and more
- Jansport 👑 backpacks
- Land’s End 👑 clothes
- L.L. Bean 👑 clothes, bags and more
- Loom clothes that are made to last
- Osprey 👑 backpacks
- Patagonia 👑 sportswear and more, including business casual
- Commown (France) 👑 headphones, computers (laptop or desktop) & Fairphone smartphones. You pay monthly and it includes repairs & replacements whenever needed.
- Fairphone smartphone (5-year warranty and designed for easy repair)
Furniture & home decor
General: gifts, small things…
- The classic, Etsy. You should look for sellers in your country to keep shipping costs (and pollution) low.
- Uncommon Goods is aggressively gendered but has some cute stuff
- Books: Bookshop.uk
- Furniture: Herman Miller
- Books: Book Depository belongs to Amazon. Thanks for flagging, Allan!
- Clothes: Loom
- Big addition: lifetime (or similar) warranty, signalled by 👑 emoji
- New section
- Full rewrite, completely different list
- Clothes & Accessories
- Books: libraries, ebooks.com (thank you HermitCyclop)